Arbitrary DOS device name

Daniel Kucera wine at danman.eu
Tue Feb 15 14:16:54 CST 2022

On 2022-02-15 18:19, Zebediah Figura wrote:
> On 2/15/22 04:33, Daniel Kucera wrote:
>> Ok, the file was not in the correct location, I had to copy
>> Hantek6000BAMD64.SYS to system32/drivers
>>
>> I suppose all this (creating service, copying to system32/drivers)
>> should be handled during the inf installation (maybe by dpinst?).
>
> Not exactly.
>
> The way it's supposed to work is, dpinst copies the inf file to
> C:/windows/inf/, and it copies all of the other files to the
> DriverStore directory. From the previous message it seems that's being
> done correctly.
>
> When Windows detects a new device, it scans the C:/windows/inf/
> directory for inf files that match, and if it finds one, then it
> "installs" it, which in practice means that only then the driver file
> will be copied to C:/windows/system32/drivers/, and the service
> registry entries created accordingly. At least, that's how it's
> supposed to work, provided I'm remembering all of the details
> correctly.

Very interesting, thank you for information.

>> But these functions are never called (no trace output from usbd) and
>> the
>> program still cannot find the device.
>>
>> Are there any udev settings needed for the device to be "visible" by
>> wine?
>> Is there some way how to trace a specific library
>> (Hantek6000BAMD64.SYS)
>> and find out what is it doing/calling?
>
> We need to have permissions to access it. I would assume you already
> have those, if you're writing a user-space driver, but if not, I use a
> udev rules file with text like the following:
>
>     SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="2040", MODE="0666"
>
> (You can further limit it to the product, but I never bothered.)
>
> If it still doesn't work, can you please attach a log with
> WINEDEBUG=+ntoskrnl,+pid,+plugplay,+setupapi,+wineusb ?

The permissions look correct:

danman at danman-VirtualBox:~$ ls -lah /dev/bus/usb/001/
total 0
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root     80 úno 15 11:35 .
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root     80 úno 13 22:39 ..
crw-rw-r-- 1 root root 189, 0 úno 13 22:39 001
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 189, 7 úno 15 11:35 008
danman at danman-VirtualBox:~$ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 008: ID 04b5:6cde ROHM LSI Systems USA, LLC DSO Device
Bus 002 Device 004: ID 80ee:0021 VirtualBox USB Tablet
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

See attached log.
Thank you.