Regarding WinRT and external libraries

Bernhard Kölbl besentv at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 16:32:55 CST 2022

Hello everyone,

I have recently started to (try) working on the implementation of
WinRT speech recognition (Windows.Media.Speech), which seems to be
mainly used by a few games right now (e.g. Phasmophobia). I already
finished working on the IDLs, and stubs for the most needed
interfaces.
The first hurdles weren't really hard to solve, but now, as I'm not
the most experience Wine dev and WinRT isn't such a big thing in Wine
yet, I came across a few issues that I'd like to discuss:

*What are the plans on handling the reuse of common COM-objects across
different WinRT dlls? E.g. Creating a vtable for something like
IVector<HSTRING>, every time it's used in different DLLs, seems
counterproductive and creates unneeded redundant code, because it
always provides the same functionality.

*What are the requirements for external libraries to be used in Wine?
I thought of using something like VOSK or Mozilla DeepSpeech for voice
recognition. Would those be acceptable?

Bernhard