Arbitrary DOS device name

Stefan Dösinger stefandoesinger at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 03:09:37 CST 2022

Am Dienstag, 25. Jänner 2022, 20:39:55 EAT schrieb Daniel Kucera:

> I was researching this option but I haven't even found a way to load a
> driver.
> Besides, if the original driver doesn't work out-of-the-box (which I
> presume it won't), I am not really able to write/compile wine/Windows
> driver.

I'm hoping that maybe Remi can chime in on this question.

> The software is calling DeviceIoControl() which results in ioctl calls
> in wine server and ends here:
> https://github.com/wine-mirror/wine/blob/master/server/fd.c#L2408
>
> To forward the call to device, I would need to modify this function,
> something in this sense:

One other option to investigate: Write a small Windows/Wine device driver that
registers the character device and forwards it to the Unix device node. If you
get that working you shouldn't need to modify wineserver in a very device
specific way. In theory the API is also stable (Wine just implements the
Windows driver API), so the Windows device driver can live out of tree.

See dlls/*.sys for some examples of existing device drivers; In particular
mountmgr.sys, wineusb.sys are examples of drivers that talk to both the
Windows and Unix side.