Building with MSVC

Gisle Vanem gvanem at online.no
Wed Jul 13 03:30:47 CDT 2022

Hello list. My first post here.

First off, I'm not using Linux and does not
want to. I'm on Win-10 and would (just for fun)
try to build e.g. Wine's 'explorer.exe' and other
tool using MSVC-2022 and/or clang-cl v.13. I see
that the sources are full of '_MSC_VER' and assume
it would be possible.

I've built all 'tools/' program just fine with a set
of home-brewed GNU-makefiles.

But have some problems with missing symbols during link.
For example these:
   _NtUserMessageCall at 28
   _DrawCaptionTempW at 28

MSDN came up blank for these. But I see that 'NtUserMessageCall at 28'
is exported from my normal 'win32u.dll' on Win-10. But there's
no entry for them in any Win-Kit library AFAICS.

So are we supposed to use Wine's 'win32u.dll' as a trampoline
to the real and undocumented functions?

Then there is 'DrawCaptionTempW'. I find no prototype for it
in the Win-Kit SDK. But I find it in TDM-MinGW's 'libuser32.a'.
Ref:
   https://gist.github.com/wbenny/123a41973af776df9c7d5610586b9e9d

I've read the FAQ so I'm not sure my effort is supported at all.
Or if some MinGW-distro is required.

--
--gv