Gitlab experiment status

Alex Henrie alexhenrie24 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 18:50:42 CDT 2022

On Fri, May 27, 2022 at 12:03 PM Zebediah Figura
<zfigura at codeweavers.com> wrote:

> On 5/27/22 10:46, Rémi Bernon wrote:
> >>
> >> If our intent is to switch to gitlab because mailing lists are too
> >> difficult for people to work with, then it seems we shouldn't have any
> >> discussion at all take place on a mailing list, otherwise it'll be
> >> missed by the people who are only using gitlab. Not that I know of a
> >> better way to have such discussion...
> >>

> > Imho the mailing list still makes sense, for general Wine development
> > discussion, though the volume may be much smaller than what we currently
> > have.
> >
> > Maybe we don't currently have many discussion either because the mailing
> > list is felt more as a place for patches, and that discussions are
> > believed to happen elsewhere, or because discussions go more often
> > unnoticed under the volume of patches.
> >

> I've seen this kind of thought floated several times, and I'm not sure I
> understand the reasoning. What kind of discussions or replies are you
> expecting to see that don't currently happen?

This thread itself is an example: I didn't see it until today. GitLab
allows me to subscribe to the patch discussions that I care about
rather than getting the deafening torrent of every single message. So,
for me, resurrecting the wine-patches list as the GitLab bridge while
leaving process and architecture discussion on wine-devel would be a
welcome change. Mailing lists also aren't very friendly when a
newcomer wants to reply to a message that was sent before they were
subscribed to the list, but GitLab allows newcomers to jump right in.

-Alex