Gitlab experiment wrapup

Gabriel Ivăncescu gabrielopcode at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 10:57:23 CDT 2022

On 14/06/2022 17:03, Giovanni Mascellani wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Il 14/06/22 12:55, Alexandre Julliard ha scritto:
>> - Signoffs are a bit cumbersome (Rémi). We should change the
>>    requirements to something better adapted to Gitlab.
>
> I don't remember if this point has already been made, but we're using
> the Signed-off-by pseudo-header in a rather peculiar fashion. The
> standard meaning of Signed-off-by is something like "I have checked that
> I have the legal right to submit this patch for inclusion" (more
> specifically, see [1]), while we use it as "I have checked that this
> patch is technically sound". Other projects use other pseudo-headers for
> the latter, like "Reviewed-by" or "Acked-by".
>
>   [1] https://developercertificate.org/
>
> Could we take the occasion to switch to something more standard?
>
> Giovanni.

Well the winehq wiki says:

`Your patch must include a Signed-off-by line. Signed-off-by means "I
think this code is good enough to go into Wine." It is an assertion that
your work meets all legal and technical requirements of Wine development.`

Note the `*legal* and technical requirements` part (emphasis added).