HLSL offsetting

Francisco Casas fcasas at codeweavers.com
Tue Jun 14 22:05:47 CDT 2022

Hello,

On 13-06-22 11:59, Francisco Casas wrote:
> Okay, I stopped working on multiple register offsets and now I am
> working on this approach.
>
> I still think that adding a pass to translate these "route"s to the
> original register "offset"s, so that we can implement this change
> gradually, is good. We can move the pass forward as we change more
> passes to work with component offsets. And we can debug more easily the
> things that we don't translate correctly.
>
> I am aiming to implement the new approach until right after
> split_matrix_copies, and put the translation afterwards. So far it seems
> to be going nicely.

I attach a patch that achieves this, in case there are any opinions.

The "paths"[1] of component indexes seem like the best way to solve the
problem after all. I think that keeping them as an arrays of nodes in
the hlsl_deref allows to write more uniform code than using a more
complex data structure, as Giovanni mentioned.

IMO, I think this patch manages matrices nicely too, but there is the
problem that it is based on top of
---
bb49bdba gmascellani vkd3d-shader/hlsl: Allow majority modifiers on
function declarations.
---
which is a little behind of master.

So I still have to rebase it on top of current master, and in particular
on top of the recent patches pertaining matrices. So I will probably
have to make some design decisions while solving the conflicts.

I guess that the main objective is that we don't want to deal with
matrices at all after splitting matrix copies.

Best regards,
Francisco.

---

[1] I hope that this is a better name than "route".