Gitlab experiment wrapup

Gabriel Ivăncescu gabrielopcode at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 11:48:04 CDT 2022

On 16/06/2022 19:33, Alex Henrie wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 16, 2022 at 10:04 AM Gabriel Ivăncescu
> <gabrielopcode at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> There's one other (pretty big, for me) problem I can't seem to find how
>> to replicate with MRs compared to sending patches: how do I add notes
>> for each commit that shouldn't actually be committed? For patches I used
>> to add below the --- line, and these are super useful when you just want
>> to tell the information to the reviewer, which wouldn't make much sense
>> to have in the codebase itself.
>>
>> These seem to get lost when I push. I have to admit `git notes` seems
>> pretty convoluted to me and I've no idea how it gets "stored" especially
>> for merge requests. Patches were much easier to comprehend.
>>
>> I mean, I guess I can add it to the MR description but that's not
>> pointing out to a specific commit/patch... sigh.
>
> In a GitLab merge request, I can click on a specific commit to see its
> diff, then click on the commit hash again, and GitLab gives me a box
> to leave a comment either about a specific line of the commit or about
> the commit as a whole. Would that work for you?
>
> -Alex

I see, the click on the hash again is definitely more convoluted than I
intuitively expected, but at least there's a way to add such comment. It
would be super if it could be automated (scripted) though. I hate
clicking all over the place.

At least I found that a quick URL to get to such commit is:

https://gitlab.winehq.org/wine/wine/-/commit/<commit_sha>?merge_request_iid=<mr
id>

That said I still have to copy and paste it manually to gitlab's web UI,
which also requires logging in and loads slowly due to javascript bloat...

Is there a way to add this kind of comment with glab-cli?