vkd3d release schedule

Giovanni Mascellani gmascellani at codeweavers.com
Thu Jun 23 05:15:02 CDT 2022

Hi,

Il 23/06/22 09:49, Henri Verbeet ha scritto:
> As you may have noticed, the time between the vkd3d 1.3 and 1.4
> releases was a fair bit shorter than the time between the 1.2 and 1.3
> releases. That was deliberate; at the start of the year the plan was
> made to aim for about 4 vkd3d releases per year. I think that has
> worked out well so far, so we'd like to continue along those lines. In
> practical terms, that puts the tentative release dates for vkd3d 1.5
> and 1.6 at late September and late December this year.

Shall we also define a freeze schedule, possibly a bit more in advance
than we did this time?

For 1.4 we had a soft freeze (API and architecture) and a hard freeze
(only important bugfixes), both a week long. In practice during the soft
freeze there were two accepted patch sets (one by me with matrix
support, which was mostly discussed before freeze anyway, and another by
Biswapriyo with some IDL additions) and one during the hard freeze
(essentially doing the release itself, plus a small bugfix).

I would propose to have a significantly longer soft freeze (at least a
month) so that API has to be frozen well in advance, and a slightly
longer hard freeze, but with a perhaps wider filter (e.g., two weeks,
during which only important bugfixes to the main code are accepted, but
it is still possible to commit pretty much everything to testing code,
tests and documentation). Ideally this would allow us to consolidate
work in tests and docs (not that the situation is terrible in vkd3d, but
it's not bad to have some time specifically dedicated to that).

My two cents, Giovanni.