32bit Wine on macOS Catalina

Stefan Dösinger stefandoesinger at gmail.com
Fri May 13 06:56:24 CDT 2022

Am Mittwoch, 20. April 2022, 15:55:13 EAT schrieb Eddie Hillenbrand:

> My goal is to compile everything on Catalina and to run 32bit Wine on
> Catalina. I can compile 64bit Wine without a problem and 32bit Wine
> compiles against the MacOSX10.13.sdk.

Whoa, you put a lot of effort into this and some results, and I am surprised
that Catalina actually can create 32 bit processes.

That said, what you are doing is not a good way forward. Even if we could make
it work, and it magically worked on newer MacOS too, doing something Apple
doesn't support won't work in the long run.

However, the PE split is making progress in Wine, and winex11.drv is now split
into a .so and .dll file. winemac.drv will be next. According to statements
from Alexandre on IRC you can already run command line apps in a crossover-
like 32on64 mode. Once the graphics driver is in place GUI apps won't be far
away. And it will be much cleaner than the solution crossover is using, since
it won't need a custom C compiler.

So have some patience, a proper solution that works on newer OSes and even
inside Rosetta 2 is coming. And at some future time we can even include our
own CPU emulator for ARM support on Linux and for a future without Rosetta 2.