Gitlab experiment status

Gabriel Ivăncescu gabrielopcode at gmail.com
Fri May 27 13:11:26 CDT 2022

On 27/05/2022 21:03, Zebediah Figura wrote:
> On 5/27/22 10:46, Rémi Bernon wrote:
>>>
>>> If our intent is to switch to gitlab because mailing lists are too
>>> difficult for people to work with, then it seems we shouldn't have
>>> any discussion at all take place on a mailing list, otherwise it'll
>>> be missed by the people who are only using gitlab. Not that I know of
>>> a better way to have such discussion...
>>>

>> Imho the mailing list still makes sense, for general Wine development
>> discussion, though the volume may be much smaller than what we
>> currently have.
>>
>> Maybe we don't currently have many discussion either because the
>> mailing list is felt more as a place for patches, and that discussions
>> are believed to happen elsewhere, or because discussions go more often
>> unnoticed under the volume of patches.
>>

> I've seen this kind of thought floated several times, and I'm not sure I
> understand the reasoning. What kind of discussions or replies are you
> expecting to see that don't currently happen?
>

>> Then I personally also don't think that the mailing list bridge is
>> doing a great job, and if we decide to use Gitlab as the primary
>> platform I'd also vote for using a different mailing list for the
>> bridge, for people willing to stick to it. (*)
>>
>> (*) Actually, if we decide to adopt Gitlab as the primary development
>> platform, I think it'd be better if reviews were done on Gitlab
>> entirely, if we cannot find a way to better format mail replies, they
>> are hardly readable at the moment. Even replying to Gitlab builtin
>> mail notifications does a better job.
>
> I'd really like to stress my opposition to this. Gitlab's UI is
> horrible, and so are the default mail notifications. I don't intend to
> use either to review.

Same. I also like skimming through patches in the mailing list daily (at
least titles, components, if it's something I have a vague clue of or
simply curiosity). I don't see how that would work on gitlab efficiently
without the bridge. I would really not want to have to open up each MR
and then do bunch more clicks just to see the commits/patches, I like
how it's now, everything in one "list" and one click-one patch. Simple.

I also really dislike how javascript heavy it is (even more than github)
and honestly using email client is way simpler for me than web browser.
Probably it's for most people, that's why notifications exist and are
still in email... I bet I'd miss a lot of things I'm not "subscribed to"
without the bridge, when I tried gitlab settings I got overwhelmed by
notifications settings so I just sticked to defaults. I don't know if
that's enough to keep my current workflow.

On another note, I prefer sending patches too (rather than MRs), but I'm
not going to fight over that one. But I'd really like the
non-patch-sending email workflow to stay at the very least, if possible.