Gitlab experiment status

Sven Baars sven.wine at gmail.com
Sun May 29 14:59:34 CDT 2022

On 27-05-2022 20:11, Gabriel Ivăncescu wrote:
> Same. I also like skimming through patches in the mailing list daily (at
> least titles, components, if it's something I have a vague clue of or
> simply curiosity). I don't see how that would work on gitlab efficiently
> without the bridge. I would really not want to have to open up each MR
> and then do bunch more clicks just to see the commits/patches, I like
> how it's now, everything in one "list" and one click-one patch. Simple.
>
> I also really dislike how javascript heavy it is (even more than github)
> and honestly using email client is way simpler for me than web browser.
> Probably it's for most people, that's why notifications exist and are
> still in email... I bet I'd miss a lot of things I'm not "subscribed to"
> without the bridge, when I tried gitlab settings I got overwhelmed by
> notifications settings so I just sticked to defaults. I don't know if
> that's enough to keep my current workflow.
>
> On another note, I prefer sending patches too (rather than MRs), but I'm
> not going to fight over that one. But I'd really like the
> non-patch-sending email workflow to stay at the very least, if possible.

I agree with all of the points Jacek made, but also very much with the
points Gabriel makes here. I used to go through the patches in the
mailing list every day, but lately it has become more tedious because I
feel like mails about patches are sent to the mailing list twice as
often (the [0/1] mails, approvals, reviewer fixups, Alexandre's fixups).
Maybe that's just my imagination, but at least plain sign-offs felt much
easier to skip through, and also the lack of differences between v1 and
v2 at the top of the patches makes it harder to figure out what changed
between versions, unless you use the command line to compare merge
request versions (I think?).

So if we stick with Gitlab, I think I will just go through the commit
log at the end of the day instead, since that's what I already did for
Alexandre's patches.

Anyhow, for me, as someone who is not a reviewer, I still think the pros
mentioned by Jacek outweigh the cons.