FAQ: Update the ports section
fgouget at free.fr
Wed Sep 10 04:16:59 CDT 2003
Update the Wine ports section
RCS file: /home/wine/wine/documentation/faq.sgml,v
retrieving revision 1.21
diff -u -r1.21 faq.sgml
--- documentation/faq.sgml 8 Sep 2003 19:38:45 -0000 1.21
+++ documentation/faq.sgml 10 Sep 2003 09:04:35 -0000
@@ -645,15 +645,21 @@
- Wine is being developed specifically to run on the <emphasis>Intel x86</emphasis> class of CPUs under certain UNIXes that run on the x86 platform.
- Winelib however is capable of porting Windows program <emphasis>source code</emphasis> to other platforms also, not only x86.
+ Wine is being developed specifically to run on the <emphasis>Intel
+ x86</emphasis> class of CPUs under certain UNIXes that run on this
+ platform. Winelib however is capable of porting the Windows
+ applications <emphasis>source code</emphasis> to other platforms
+ also, not only x86.
- Thus running Windows programs via Wine on other platforms (e.g. MacOS X) is <emphasis>not</emphasis> possible; the only way to run Windows code
- on MacOS X would be to take Windows program source code and recompile it for e.g. MacOS X using Winelib.
+ Thus running Windows binaries on other platforms (e.g. Mac OS X on
+ PowerPC) using just Wine is <emphasis>not</emphasis> possible. You
+ would have to either run Wine in an emulated x86 environment or
+ take the Windows application source code and recompile it using
- The following will list the x86 operating systems supported by
+ The following lists the x86 operating systems supported by
Wine; Winelib support for other platforms keeps evolving,
so it's not specifically listed here.
@@ -667,13 +673,23 @@
commercial UNIX and UNIX clone vendors as well.
- BeOS: porting efforts used to be pretty strong, but BeOS has severe
- limitations in Unix call support, so a port will probably never
- FreeBSD: Should work, with limitations in specific areas (mainly
- missing device/hardware support).
+ BeOS: porting efforts (BeWine) used to be pretty strong, but BeOS
+ has severe limitations in Unix call support. The demise of Be
+ further hampered the project though it might come back one day on
+ one of the open BeOS projects. In any case a functional port seems
+ unlikely to ever happen at this stage.
+ Mac OS X / Darwin: The <ulink
+ url="http://darwine.sourceforge.net/project.html">Darwine</> is
+ currently working on porting Wine to the Darwin/x86 platform. Their
+ goal is to eventually make it possible to run x86 Windows
+ applications on Darwin/PPC and then Mac OS X by using Bochs.
+ FreeBSD: This port is well maintained and should work with
+ limitations in specific areas (mainly missing device/hardware
Linux/x86: Works, and as the most popular platform for both
Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr http://fgouget.free.fr/
Linux: It is now safe to turn on your computer.
More information about the wine-patches