Automated test #309 thrashes hard drive

Andrew coldpies.devel at gmail.com
Tue May 27 21:08:53 CDT 2008

Hello,

In a request for Wine 1.0 RC2 testers in a recent Slashdot story, I
found a link to the following page, which describes how to run some
automated tests against a Wine build.
http://wiki.winehq.org/MakeTestFailures

After pulling the latest version from Git, I built it and began running
the dotests script.  Everything seemed to be running fine until test
#309 began.  309 brought up a large window titled Main Window on my main
monitor and immediately began thrashing my hard drive.  System
responsiveness basically halted, save for a very jerky mouse.  After a
few minutes of thrashing, even the mouse stopped working.  No keyboard
commands worked, including Ctrl+Alt+Bksp to kill X and Ctrl+Alt+F1 to
drop to a terminal.

I did a hard reboot, then ran the tests again with absolutely no other
applications running.  Again, on test #309, the same symptoms occurred.
This time I was quick enough with Ctrl+Alt+Bksp to kill the process
before it required a hard reboot.  This doesn't seem like desired
behavior to me.

Running fully updated Arch Linux for x86 with stock Arch kernel
2.6.25.4.  Tests were run in XFCE.

I hope this report is helpful, and if you'd like more information or
another test for me to run, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks and keep up the great work,
Andrew Eikum
coldpies.devel at gmail.com