dumb newbie needs help

lawson_whitney at juno.com lawson_whitney at juno.com
Thu Apr 5 10:48:40 CDT 2001

On Thu, 5 Apr 2001, Hello wrote:

> hi, I read the howto and the official documentation, and have tried setting
> up w(h)ine according to the configuration directions, but for some reason,
> I'm getting errors on all drives - "cannot stat the drive". what does that
> mean, and how do I fix it? All drives that it is calling are already
> mounted...
>
> thanks
> hello

You haven't given us anything to work with, so I doubt we can be much
help.

Script started on Thu Apr  5 11:33:31 2001
[whit at giftie whit]$ wcmd
Could not stat no-such_place (No such file or directory), ignoring drive B:
Warning: could not find wine config [Drive x] entry for current working directory /home/whit; starting in windows directory.
WCMD Version 0.15

C>exit
[whit at giftie whit]$ exit

Script done on Thu Apr  5 11:35:02 2001

That message means EXACTLY what it says.  Wine could not stat the place
you gave it (normally the mount point of a device or partition, but not
necessarily.  (I use a subdirectory in an nfs-mounted directory for C:))
in the "Path" = entry for that [Drive].

[Drive B]
"Path" = "no-such_place"
"Type" = "floppy"
"Label" = "Mabel"
"Serial" = "Wheaties"

[Drive C]
"Path" = "/gp/windose"
"Type" = "hd"
"Label" = "/gp/windose"
"Filesystem" = "win95"

Get on the linux console and try it yourself.

Script started on Thu Apr  5 11:43:38 2001
[whit at giftie whit]$ stat no-such_place
Can't lstat no-such_place
[whit at giftie whit]$ stat /gp/windose
  File: "/gp/windose"
  Size: 1024         Allocated Blocks: 2            Filetype: Directory
  Mode: (0755/drwxr-xr-x)         Uid: (  501/    whit)  Gid: (    0/    root)
Device:  3,5   Inode: 647720    Links: 37
Access: Thu Apr  5 11:33:42 2001
Modify: Thu Mar 29 10:17:19 2001
Change: Thu Mar 29 10:17:19 2001
[whit at giftie whit]$ exit
exit

Script done on Thu Apr  5 11:44:13 2001

Now I am not saying you have or need /gp/windose on your system.
But whatever you tell wine in "Path" = sould be something the user who
runs wine can stat.

Lawson

This message is brought to you by Wine-20010326, junopine-2.0.2,
Juno 2.0.11, and pine-4.10
---cut here

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.