Wine 'out of memory'

g.patel at g.patel at
Fri Apr 6 17:37:01 CDT 2001

On Fri, 6 Apr 2001 21:28:38 +0000, Kees van Hoof
<kees.van.hoof at> wrote:

>I run wine on tow almost identical computers. One is a Dell xps 300 and the
>other on a new one, with amd 900 MHZ processor, 512 MB internal memory.
>nVidia Geforce grafical interface. Both run Suse 7.1, kernel 2.2.18, wine
>200103026. If I run a win 311 programm on the Dell computer it runs fine.
>If I run the same program on the new (Obelix) computer it runs  out of
>memory. The Del has 96 MB and Obelix has 512 MB, so I think this will be
>enough to run, but still this seems not to be enough.
>Who can help me with this problem?

FYI this error message (not enough memory) is pretty
generic and many Win apps are spitting it in cases where
it is completely absurd. These apps are roughly using
the following approach :
- if it's error 'file not found', message 'file not found'
- if it's error 'disk full', message 'disk full'
else message 'out of memory'.

So there is (obviously) enough memory on your
new computer. Something else differs, maybe
a directory that does not exist or is write-protected.
Or it's some unrelated Api that  fails for some system
Whatever, the debugging approach does not change
(see documentation/bugs). To test file problems, you
can add +file,+dosfs to the +relay debugmsg.