newbie questions

Spencer, Kirklin kspencer at whitfield.public.lib.ga.us
Fri Apr 6 17:58:12 CDT 2001

So much for lurking.  :)

>>While I intend to lurk for a while (antsily -I've programs I want
>>running), is there an archive or place where I can find somewhat
>>commonly identified problems for the non-programming user to look for
>>fixes?

>www.winehq.com

Ah.  I must have missed them crawling through the documentation, I'll read
it again this weekend.

>If your apps are well known, you can post their names here,
>possibly someone will know if they are likely to work or
>it will be difficult or impossible. Many text editors work
>fine, many html editors work bad. If you want fast results
>Wmvare is probably what you need.

Fast isn't necessary, and I think the effort fixing them in Wine will do me
more good in the long run.

Program one is SFBOnline.  Full program can be downloaded from
http://www.sfbonline.com.  Program can be run in demo mode fully functional,
but without full server benefits.  About a year ago I was told by someone
that they had it running in Wine, but I don't recall the name of the person,
so I don't know if they had to do patches or if it's an error in my
configuration.

Program two is something called WorkFlows by Sirsi Corporation.  It's
proprietary software for libraries providing a user interface with their
Unicorn program.  This one mostly works, so even though it's the "can't
abandon" program, I could make do with it as is.  The failure is that it
won't load the icons and buttons on its toolbar.  It's got an internal
method of launching the programs that the toolbar and buttons launch, and
everything I tested loaded correctly.  I get a display error in the program
of "failure, no zgui_dde".

I'm not at that computer or I'd also pass on the results from the --debugmsg
trace, including the various "fixme" messages.  I'll do that Monday - though
if there are particular recommendations to try I'll give them a try first.

Kirk