Interesting Note

Uwe Bonnes bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de
Sun Apr 8 09:20:12 CDT 2001

g.patel at wanadoo.fr wrote:
: On Sat, 07 Apr 2001 19:53:49 GMT, "Hello"
: <meldell32bit at NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote:

:>OK, so right, I shouldn't have let Wine be able to write to the Fat32 hard
:>drive, now I know for next time. The question is, though, why did it do
:>that? What happened was, I was running notepad.exe in Wine, and I went to
:>open a text file. Every folder that I browsed through, Wine removed its
:>contents and placed it into something like $!$!$!$!$!.333, the 333 being the
:>first three digits of the original folder's name... weird... Is this a clash
:>between Ext2 and Fat32, or something else? I'm glad at least none of the
:>data was removed completely...phew!

: Something like that has been frequently observed by people
: trying to run Internet Exploser 5. Are you sure you never did ?
: I have frequently tested Notepad 3.1 and Notepad NT without
: seeing anything like that.

This is caused by some MS programs when they don't find the
registry values they expect. Did you run winenstall and where the
winedefaults.reg values copied to your wine registry?

Bye

Uwe Bonnes                bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de