help installing wine

lawson_whitney at juno.com lawson_whitney at juno.com
Sun Apr 8 21:31:55 CDT 2001

On 9 Apr 2001, PsYcHeDeLicFreeK wrote:

> Hi, everyone, i am trying to install wine from the source. after running the
> configure script i procceed to do: make depend but i get the following message:
> make:**** No rule to make target `depend'.Stop.
> Does anyone have any suggestions about what to do? i am on linux madrake 6.5,
> if that helps, thanks in advance.

The easiest way to get that error is to run make in a directory where
there is no Makefile, nor neither a GNUMakefile nor a makefile.
If the wine source is in /foo/bar/wine-950521, running make depend in
your home directory is not guaranteed to work.

./configure should have made you a nice hairy Makefile with a nice
depend: target, at the root of the wine source tree, and another
Makefile in each subdirectory, unless it failed too and you weren't
paying attention.  If it succeeds, it will tell you you can now run
make depend && make
to build wine.  It is no harm to run them separately one after the
other, but only after ./configure succeeds.

The first thing I recommend, after you unpack the tar:

tar -C /where/it/goes -xzf <wine tarball>

is to

cd /where/it/goes/wine-<date of wine release>

less README

all kinds of good stuff in the README, including a list of packages you
must have unless you want ./configure to fail.

after you install all the packages you needed (glibc-devel is a popular
one to miss:  you can't compile "Hello world!" without glibc-devel, even
you have make, gcc, and binutils, and bison and flex), then you can

rm config.cache
./configure

make depend && make
su -c "make install"

Lawson

This message is brought to you by Wine-20010326, junopine-2.0.2,
Juno 2.0.11, and pine-4.10
---cut here

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.