PostScript printing to a file?

Tom Cavin tec at ai.mit.edu
Mon Apr 9 19:42:10 CDT 2001

Hi,

I can't print to a file from an application running under Wine, and I
don't know if it is the application, the internal PostScript driver,
or my configuration that is causing the problem.

To complicate matters, although I know unix/linux fairly well, I have
avoided using any Microsoft products and do not understand the *.ini
file format or the registry.

The system I'm trying to use is based on RedHat 6.2 and is strictly
Linux.

Unfortunately, I was unable to get a working configuration from
reading the ./documentation/printing.sgml file and the various HOWTO's
I've found on the net.  Is there a mini-HOWTO?

I would like to walk through all the steps starting from the end of
the compile/install using ./tools/wineinstall as a user, to a simple
configuration that lets me tell the application to print something and
have it end up in some file on the disk.  (Once I have a PostScript
file on the disk -- whatever it's called -- I can take it from there.)

It would be good enough for me to be able to click on the print icon
in my application and have it just dump something through the default
printer, with the default printer dumping output as PostScript into a
known file.

Can someone please send me step-by-step instructions for a reader who
knows Linux but doesn't do Windows?

Thanks,

	--Tom