Experiences with Word 2000, SmartSuite 9

newsone at leon.brooks.fdns.net newsone at leon.brooks.fdns.net
Wed Apr 11 10:17:00 CDT 2001

Using WINE 20010323 under a stock Mandrake 7.2 system.

Word 2000 seems to work but won't save files. If the file exists,
it just says, ``file exists'' [OK]. If you save anywhere fancy
like ``My Documents'' it says this is not a real filesystem location
[OK]. If you specify a drive and path (h:\filename.doc) it tells you
that this is an invalid filename, please check it [OK]. It had no
trouble asking for and committing a registration key (this is a
NEC/Packard OEM system).

Oh, and it has a problem starting TBPC (Office Assistant), what a
shame...

SmartSuite installs up to the point of ``configuring software'' then
puts up endless messages (1 a second, I think) about returning 0
without checking.

If I install SmartSuite under 'doze and run it from WINE, it opens
WordPro, puts up the starting dialog box, and goes totally catatonic
(with --managed windows I can use the dialog box as a paintbrush).

MSPaint and WordPad seem to work flawlessly. Windows media player
seems to work, albeit slowly (Rage 64 video card, XFree86 4.0.1).

Internet Explorer complains about lots of SHLWAPI functions and dies.
I can't seem to get WINE to use the native SHLWAPI.DLL by editing
the DLLoverride list in ~/.wine/config

Sincerely, Don Quixote (-: