Running Under Windows

Tom Hubin thubin at clark.net
Thu Apr 19 12:31:47 CDT 2001

Hello,

I write a commercial marine navigation and tidal current prediction
application for Windows 3.1 (compiled with Borland c++ 3.1). I am
considering releasing this or a variant of this under something like
Linux. My goal is to continue to develop bells and whistles but to share
the load with others. No particular commercial goals.

In order to get recreational sailboat racers to use it I would like the
public version to run under Windows too, if that is possible. Getting
them to use any software while racing is a challenge. Getting them to
install an OS that is not Windows will be nearly impossible.

I am an electrical engineer and optical engineer but not a professional
programmer. I have been programming, as necessary, since the mid 1960's.
So I cannot exactly claim to be new to computers. But I will say that I
do not keep up with the software business. I am only vaguely familiar
with Linux capabilities.

In the last 2 weeks I have connected with Linux Users Groups in Columbia
and Laurel MD. They have given me some ideas.

Any suggestions on how to tackle this?

Is there another Newsgroup where I should post this??

You can get a look at last years demo at
http://www.clark.net/pub/thubin/aocs . The sample screens there are
several years old and come from an old DOS version of the program. The
downloadable demo runs under Windows 3.1 or better.

Tom Hubin
thubin at clark.net