Running Under Windows

Uwe Bonnes bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de
Fri Apr 20 03:54:36 CDT 2001

Tom Hubin <thubin at clark.net> wrote:

    Tom> Uwe Bonnes wrote:
    Tom> Thanx for taking the time to download, execute and comment on
    Tom> Navigation Made Easy.

    Tom> I guess the next step is to go ahead and partition my drive and
    Tom> install one of the Linux's then Wine. I have Mandrake 6.5 purchased
    Tom> with documentation. I have Mandrake 8.0 Beta 2 on CDs without
    Tom> printed documentation. Is there a particular brand of Linux or Wine
    Tom> that you recommend?

Hallo Tom,

If you have Linux not running yet, I recommend a distribution some friends
of you have, who can perhaps help you. Without help, things will be hard.

For installing wine, most distributions packages lag substantial. There are
several places mentioend on www.winehq.com that distribute more recent
packages.

    Tom> The reason for Windows 3.1 right now is that my laptop is an 80486
    Tom> 50MHz with 350MB drive, 20MB RAM, 1.44MB diskette, no CD drive. My
    Tom> desktop is a Pentium with CD and several GB of disk. But it is the
    Tom> laptop on the boat. And I do want to make changes and compile while
    Tom> on the boat. If I cannot compile and run on my 486 please tell me
    Tom> now. I will eventually get a newer 32 bit laptop but not this
    Tom> month. Nothing leftover after taxes.

A 486/50 was something that I started Linux with 1994. However the small
memory will make installing and running things harder. Not any easy job for
a beginner, but managable.

    Tom> Where do I find out how to bundle my stuff with the appropriate
    Tom> Linux policy info?

Well, running the windows executable with wine is like windows. So if you
suppose people to have wine installed before they install your package,
nothing changes for you. People are still supposed to download the packages
for windows and instead of running "setup.exe" in windows they run "wine
setup.exe" on the Linux desktop. Distributing "your application + wine"
means that you also have the burden to explain the wine setup to the
user...

However before doing any announcement, I strongly recommend that you stress
test your application with wine yourself. _You_ know how to use your
programm.

Further distribution discussions should take place on the wine-devel list,
as there are people on that list that to that task (packaging windows
applications for wine) as their profession. Again have a look at
http://www.winehq.com.

Bye

PS: Don't silently mail and post articles! Either only post or tell in the
mail that you posted too!
Uwe Bonnes                bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de