PostScript driver config change *REQUIRED*

Duane Clark dclark at akamail.com
Sat Apr 21 12:44:15 CDT 2001

Ian Pilcher wrote:

> Duane Clark wrote:
> >
> > > This change is documented in documentation/printing.sgml.  If you build
> > > the documentation, there should be a printing section in the resulting
> > > PostScript/PDF/HTML.
> >
> > Which requires a program called db2html. Where is this? The last time
> > this subject was brought up, I believe that the result was that most of
> > us cannot build from SGML. The changes you mention are not in the
> > Official Wine documentation on Wine HQ. And they are not in the Wine
> > HOWTO on Wine HQ.
>
> That's why they call it a developer's release. :-)

Well, I somewhat agree. Some of my code is currently in the wine printer
setup dialog. I design computer hardware for a living though, and I know
what happens if things are not documented as you go. For example, the
default paper size feature that you added recently is very nice. But as
far as I can see, the only way to find out about it is to search through
the source code or CVS archives. I suspect that if it is not documented
now, it likely never will be. I do know from experience that good
documention is a time consuming pain.

> Seriously, I don't know know where db2html is for your particular
> distribution.  I do know that all of the tools required to build the
> documentation are included in RedHat 7.x.  It's also possible to glean
> the required information from the SGML file, although it's not the
> easiest thing in the world.

I found Lawson's little script to be the perfect answer. db2html remains
the mystery program to me (Redhat 6.1 and 6.2). My distribution came
with sgml2html, which however fails to work for me. As others have
requested (I seem to recall you bringing it up, too), it would be really
nice if these documents were at least available on Wine HQ in HTML
format.