Cannot Compile Wine

lawson_whitney at juno.com lawson_whitney at juno.com
Sun Apr 22 13:19:26 CDT 2001

On Sun, 22 Apr 2001, et2-mkc wrote:

> Hi,
> I have been trying to compile win, and to be honest, I am not real good at
> compiling, so when there is an error, I am left to hunting postings to try to
> find help. I lucked out and found a message thread with the exact same problem
> that I have, however, there was no response as to how to get around this. Any
> suggestions please would be greatly appreciated.
>
> I am running Red Hat Linux 7.0. Here is the last little bit of the error that I
> am getting from my efforts:
>
> make[1]: Entering directory `/storage/Wine/wine-20001222/tools'
> cd ./tools && make makedep
> /bin/sh: cd: ./tools: No such file or directory
> make[1]: *** [tools/makedep] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/storage/Wine/wine-20001222/tools'
> make: *** [tools/__depend__] Error 2
>
> Compilation failed, aborting install.
> [root at et2-mkc wine-20001222]#
>
> PLease Help??  Or at least point me to where I can find the resolution.
>
> Thanks,
> Mike Combs

Have you been bashing away at this and searching for postings since last
Christmas?  What exact same problem?

> make[1]: *** [tools/makedep] Error 1
> make: *** [tools/__depend__] Error 2

These are meaningless.

I can't find any trace of this in my mail logs:

> /bin/sh: cd: ./tools: No such file or directory

Wine-users is a fairly busy list, though, and I only have it back to 10
Feb 2001.

If you really don't have <wine>/tools, something is broken in how you
got the wine source.  If you do have it, I guess something might be
broken about make.  Try "make --version".

I do know that RH shipped 7.0 with a broken C compiler, and you will
need to fix that.

| Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 00:04:30 -0400
| From: James Juran <jamesjuran at alumni.psu.edu>
| To: wine-devel at winehq.com
| Subject: RH 7.1 gcc fixes compiler bug
|
| As discovered about two weeks ago by Francois Jacques and Ulrich
| Weigand, Red Hat's gcc-2.96-69 package has a bug which shows up in the
| HOOK_CallHook function in windows/hook.c (and possibly other places).
| Red Hat 7.1 contains gcc-2.96-81, which fixes this bug.  Users of Red
| Hat 7.0 should install the gcc and cpp packages from Red Hat 7.1 to fix
| this problem.
|
| --
| James Juran
| jamesjuran at alumni.psu.edu

Also, not many of us are very interested in problems that may have been
in Wine-20001222.  If you don't want to get the whole tarball all over
again, see the README about how to update using patches.  Patch files
are available at the wine ftp sites in the same directory as the
tarball, but named *.diff.gz.  I have been following Wine by patches
since Wine-920525.  It is easy :-).  I keep the tar of the previous
version for backup, patch to the next, tar that, then start in with
./configure.  If you are patching from 20001222, just apply the newer
patch files in order, of course there is not much point in compiling
each version.  That is only 1.5m in patches against a 5mb tarball.

from the following locations:

  http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/ALPHA/wine/development/Wine-20010418.tar.gz
  ftp://ftp.infomagic.com/pub/mirrors/linux/sunsite/ALPHA/wine/development/Wine-20010418.tar.gz
  ftp://ftp.fu-berlin.de/unix/linux/mirrors/sunsite.unc.edu/ALPHA/wine/development/Wine-20010418.tar.gz
  ftp://orcus.progsoc.uts.edu.au/pub/Wine/development/Wine-20010418.tar.gz

It should also be available from any other site that mirrors ibiblio.org.
For more download locations, see http://ftpsearch.lycos.com. These
locations also hold pre-built documentation packages in various
formats: wine-doc-html.tar.gz, wine-doc-txt.tar.gz, wine-doc.pdf.gz
and wine-doc.ps.gz.

You can also get the current source directly from the CVS tree. Check
http://www.winehq.com/dev.html for details.

Lawson

This message is brought to you by Wine release 20010418,
junopine-2.0.2, Juno 2.0.11, pine-4.10, and linux-2.4.3.
---cut here

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.