getting cygwin to run under wine

Michael Mauch michael.mauch at gmx.de
Mon Apr 23 15:29:20 CDT 2001

Juergen Fiedler <juergen at fiedlerfamily.net> wrote:

> I am trying to run CygWin, the Win32 version of gcc and friends, under
> wine. Why am I not running gcc directly? It's a long story.
> Anyway: I installed cygwin OK, but when I go to c:\cygwin\bin and do a
> 'wine bash.exe', something _seems_ to flash up on the screen and I am
> notified that Wine exited with a successful status.

I don't know an answer for that problem, but for the next:

> Is there a way to
> make bash stick around so that I don't have to prepend 'wine ' to every
> command I want to issue to any of the cygwin executables?

Yes, in /usr/src/linux/Documentation/binfmt_misc.txt there's an example
with Wine.

In case you don't have that file: if your kernel was built with
binfmt_misc support (= if you have the pseudo file
/proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc/register), you can use:

echo ':DOSWin:M::MZ::/usr/local/bin/wine:' > /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc/register

Regards...
		Michael