OK, what's the deal with the display, anyway ?

lawson_whitney at juno.com lawson_whitney at juno.com
Thu Apr 26 13:51:52 CDT 2001

On Thu, 26 Apr 2001, Nix N. Nix wrote:

> Does anyone have a consistent way to set the display for wine programs
> to /anything/ (meaning something other than :0.0)?  I have done the
> followings:
> ssh to the box I want to run the wine app from.
> (As a result, DISPLAY was set to "tux:10.0")
> I tried running
> wine ./notepad.exe
> from the Windows directory.  This gave me the following:

> Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
> Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
> err:seh:UnhandledExceptionFilter Couldn't start debugger
> (debugger/winedbg 134623984 32) (2)
> Read the Wine Developers Guide on how to set up winedbg or another debugger
> err:seh:EXC_DefaultHandling Unhandled exception code c0000005 flags 0
> addr 0x400cd598
>
> It looks like it's trying to open :0.0 and, of course, it gets refused.
> Shouldn't it be trying to open tux:10.0 ?

I think you don't have the current version of wine.  I habitually run my
mail app by ssh on a box that has no monitor, but does have my only
modem.  I think I know what is happening to you but ICBW:  I have tried
intentionally abusing wine with both ssh and a local Xserver started on
the local S3 card (connected to nothing), and I can't get it to fail.

> Now, interestingly, if I walk over to "tux" and I log in, then walk back
> to my open ssh session and I re-type
> wine ./notepad.exe
> It starts building font metrics as if I had run it for the first time,
> then notepad shows up.
>
> Why do I have to be logged in on :0.0 for wine to work on any other
> display ?  I'd like to be able to simply set the DISPLAY (which I don't
> have to, since ssh does it for me) and run
> wine ./notepad.exe
> without having to actually walk up to the machine (tux) and log in.
> Every other X app (xclock, rxvt, etc.) works over ssh, and connects to
> the correct display, except wine.

The only thing different about wine is the wineserver.  I think at some
point in the near past the wineserver would try to connect wine to the
Xserver mentioned in DISPLAY of the _first_ instance of wine for a given
user.  I _think_ you suffer from wineserver hangover, but I can't get it
to happen with the current wine and wineserver.

> But wait, there's more !  Once, I managed to get wine to work properly
> by editing my ~/.wine/config and adding
> "Display" = "tux:10.0" to the [x11drv] section.  This didn't work this
> time, since I got the above error message again.

Take this out, you are only going to hurt yourself with it.  I think
you will find ssh uses a different tux:<n> for each ssh session.

> Please, I'd really appreciate a consistent solution to this problem
> since it has been plaguing me for some time.
>
> Thanks

Make sure there are no wineservers nor instances of wine or winelib apps
running when you start wine from an ssh session.  Don't mess with
DISPLAY, leave that to ssh.  It has worked for me with every ftp release
of wine since November 2000 IIRC, before that I might have been using a
local XServer and simpler hardware configuration.

Or get the current version of wine.

Lawson

This message is brought to you by Wine release 20010418,
junopine-2.0.2, Juno 2.0.11, pine-4.10, and linux-2.4.3.
---cut here

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.