OK, what's the deal with the display, anyway ?

Nix N. Nix nix at go-nix.ca
Fri Apr 27 13:41:12 CDT 2001

lawson_whitney at juno.com wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Apr 2001, Nix N. Nix wrote:
>

>> Does anyone have a consistent way to set the display for wine programs
>> to /anything/ (meaning something other than :0.0)?  I have done the
>> followings:
>> ssh to the box I want to run the wine app from.
>> (As a result, DISPLAY was set to "tux:10.0")
>> I tried running
>> wine ./notepad.exe
>> from the Windows directory.  This gave me the following:
>>
>> Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
>> Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
>> Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
>> Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
>> err:seh:UnhandledExceptionFilter Couldn't start debugger
>> (debugger/winedbg 134623984 32) (2)
>> Read the Wine Developers Guide on how to set up winedbg or another debugger
>> err:seh:EXC_DefaultHandling Unhandled exception code c0000005 flags 0
>> addr 0x400cd598
>>
>> It looks like it's trying to open :0.0 and, of course, it gets refused.
>> Shouldn't it be trying to open tux:10.0 ?
>

> I think you don't have the current version of wine.  I habitually run my

When I was writing this post, I was running wine-20010326 (I'm saorry, I
should've mentioned it in my initial post).  Right after (and after a
lot of beating myself up for not mentioning the Wine version -
figuratively speaking, of course :o) ) I installed the very latest,
wine-20010418.  Same problem.

> mail app by ssh on a box that has no monitor, but does have my only
> modem.  I think I know what is happening to you but ICBW:  I have tried
> intentionally abusing wine with both ssh and a local Xserver started on
> the local S3 card (connected to nothing), and I can't get it to fail.
>
>> Now, interestingly, if I walk over to "tux" and I log in, then walk back
>> to my open ssh session and I re-type
>> wine ./notepad.exe
>> It starts building font metrics as if I had run it for the first time,
>> then notepad shows up.
>>
>> Why do I have to be logged in on :0.0 for wine to work on any other
>> display ?  I'd like to be able to simply set the DISPLAY (which I don't
>> have to, since ssh does it for me) and run
>> wine ./notepad.exe
>> without having to actually walk up to the machine (tux) and log in.
>> Every other X app (xclock, rxvt, etc.) works over ssh, and connects to
>> the correct display, except wine.
>

> The only thing different about wine is the wineserver.  I think at some
> point in the near past the wineserver would try to connect wine to the
> Xserver mentioned in DISPLAY of the _first_ instance of wine for a given
> user.  I _think_ you suffer from wineserver hangover, but I can't get it
> to happen with the current wine and wineserver.
>
>> But wait, there's more !  Once, I managed to get wine to work properly
>> by editing my ~/.wine/config and adding
>> "Display" = "tux:10.0" to the [x11drv] section.  This didn't work this
>> time, since I got the above error message again.
>>

> Take this out, you are only going to hurt yourself with it.  I think
> you will find ssh uses a different tux:<n> for each ssh session.

I've taken it out.  I've also made sure that there were no wine
processes running by doing a
ps ax | grep wine
over ssh.
wine ./notepad.exe
would've been the first wine process on my system, but I still got the
same message.  What I find interesting is that if wine does manage to
connect to :0.0, then it displays the application on the correct display
(tux:10.0).  BTW: If I am the only person logged in, I'll always get
tux:10.0 (but that's beside the point now).

>> Please, I'd really appreciate a consistent solution to this problem
>> since it has been plaguing me for some time.
>>
>> Thanks
>>

> Make sure there are no wineservers nor instances of wine or winelib apps
> running when you start wine from an ssh session.  Don't mess with
> DISPLAY, leave that to ssh.  It has worked for me with every ftp release
> of wine since November 2000 IIRC, before that I might have been using a
> local XServer and simpler hardware configuration.
>
> Or get the current version of wine.
>
> Lawson
>
> This message is brought to you by Wine release 20010418,
> junopine-2.0.2, Juno 2.0.11, pine-4.10, and linux-2.4.3.
> ---cut here

I also tried something else (over ssh):
cd ~/.wine
cp config ..
rm -rf *
cp ../config .

I then tried running notepad again, to no avail.
The only way to get notepad to run for me, currently, is to add
xhost +
to /etc/X11/xdm/Xsetup_0
That, however, is a /Bad Thing/.

Yet another thing I tried:
su -
init 3
exit

This way, the local X server no longer exists at all.  Now, I didn't get
the "Xlib:" messages anymore, but I still got

  err:seh:UnhandledExceptionFilter Couldn't start debugger
(debugger/winedbg 134624432 32) (2)
Read the Wine Developers Guide on how to set up winedbg or another debugger
err:seh:EXC_DefaultHandling Unhandled exception code c0000005 flags 0
addr 0x400cf264

This is really frustrating.  Still,

Thanks for the help