Internet Explorer 5.5 with Wine?

Mikko Rauhala mjr at iki.fi
Wed Aug 8 11:00:35 CDT 2001

On Wed, 8 Aug 2001 13:08:01 +0000 (UTC), Pasztor Szilard
 <silicon at falcon.sch.bme.hu> wrote:
> Mikko:
>> Try Galeon, it's a fine browser.
>
> He already said he hated Mozilla, and since Galeon uses Mozilla, it is never
> going to get *any* better than Mozilla.

The reasons people usually hate Mozilla have little to do with
the rendering engine, which is quite fine, and fast enough. It's
usually more to do with the general slowness and complexity of
the browser's interface as well as its lackings in some areas of the
browsing functionality, both of which are things that Galeon remedies
well. Galeon sports very handy browsing features of its own, including
eg. tabbed browser windows and the best cookie management system I've
seen to date. And of course, Galeon would as a Gnome application be a
better fit to a Gnome desktop (which the person making the original
query said he was using) than Mozilla or Konqueror, the other
suggested browser.

Of course, though I can't see why, it might be that this particular
person has a problem with Mozilla's page rendering, specifically, and
in that case Galeon is no help. However, you are very much mistaken in
asserting that any browser based on the Gecko rendering engine cannot
improve on Mozilla in any respect. Rendering is only one part of a
browser's job.

Certainly Galeon's excellence is also only my opinion (well, and that
of not an unsignificant group of other people as well :), but as it is,
I figured it would be worth a shot for the person wanting a better
browser. I hope you won't feel the need to escalate this into a browser
war, but if you are compelled to do so anyway, please move the
discussion elsewhere.

--
Mikko Rauhala - mjr at iki.fi - http://www.iki.fi/mjr/