fonts fon Win-apps

Duane Clark junkmail at junkmail.com
Wed Aug 8 11:18:51 CDT 2001

Huhu wrote:
> With wine windows apps use other (nearly unredable) fonts than under
> windows directly.  Therefore I assume this fonts must be available
> on the windows partition.
> Is it now possible to use this fonts with wine (e.g. by specifying
 > options or editing the wine config file)?
 >
 > Thanks.

Yes. Wine uses fonts from the X font server, xfs. And any moderately
recent version of xfs knows how to use TrueType fonts. So here is the
procedure I use (under RH6.2, but it should be pretty close on other
versions of Linux).

Make a directory called, .eg /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/winfonts. Put the
Windoze fonts from a real Windoze installation, located in
C:\windows\fonts, into the directory. If you have fonts named
chillern.ttf or hollywei.ttf, just delete them. Also, while you are at
it, you might as well also download the fonts from

http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fontpack/default.htm

and install them into the same directory.

 From within the /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/winfonts directory, execute:

# ttmkfdir > fonts.scale
# mkfontdir

Edit /etc/X11/fs/config and add /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/winfonts to the
beginning of the list in the catalogue section. Then go to the
/etc/rc.d/init.d directory and restart the font server :

# ./xfs stop

# ./xfs start

Log out of Gnome (or KDE) and back in, and you and Wine should have
access to the new fonts.

--
My real email is akamail.com at dclark (or something like that).