Kid Pix Deluxe 3 failure report

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Sun Aug 12 19:09:24 CDT 2001

Kidpix Studio (win32/mac, copyright 2000, Broderbund)
with Wine from CVS on Sept 6th 2001 and no real Windows.

Couldn't even install the durn thing.

  wine Setup.exe
said
  err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection Critical section 0x400f4d4c wait timed out, retrying (60 sec) fs=008f
then paused for a long time,
then Setup put up a dialog saying "Windows 3.1 not supported"
and gave up.

  wine --winver win95 Setup.exe
said the same thing and also paused for a long time, then crashed.
  winedbg --winver win95 Setup.exe
wasn't very useful; it said
  Backtrace:
  =>0 0x00000000 (ebp=4000de8b)
    1 0x00000000 (ebp=4000de8b, null call assumed)
    2 0x0000fc80 (ebp=8bf0458b)
  *** Invalid address 0x8bf0458b (_end+0x4a82b88f)
  0x00000000: ** Invalid address 0x00000000
  -- no code --
and annoyingly, I could *not* copy and paste from the wine debugger
console!  I had to retype that stuff by hand!  Nor could I use
'script' or 'tee', since it opened up its own window!

  wine --winver nt40 Setup.exe
had many of the same problems, but started installing properly.
After copying the files, it died, saying "Cannot create shortcuts".

Here, in alphabetical order, is a concise list of the errs and fixmes
wine --winver nt40 Setup.exe printed:

FIXME:pthread_rwlock_rdlock
FIXME:pthread_rwlock_unlock
err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection Critical section 0x400f4d4c wait timed out,
fixme:dialog:MSGBOX_OnInit task modal msgbox ! Not modal yet.
fixme:ntdll:NtOpenThreadToken (0xfffffffe,0x00000008,0x00000000,0x405d63d8): stub
fixme:ntdll:NtQueryInformationToken (0000cafe,2,(nil),0,0x405d63c4): stub
fixme:ole:TLB_DoTypeInfo Assign constructor/destructor memid
fixme:pthread_kill_other_threads_np
fixme:shell:IShellLinkA_fnSetShowCmd (0x4188d7b8)->(showcmd=1)

I stand ready to help track this stuff down.   The nt40 case seems most
promising.  What debugmsg options would people like to see?  I can
produce logs and put them up on a web site.
- Dan

--
"I have seen the future, and it licks itself clean." -- Bucky Katt