Wine install/execution problems

Paul Nixon pnixon18 at home.com
Sat Aug 25 17:37:50 CDT 2001

I'm trying to get a version of Wine working. I don't really care which
version, just one that works. From reading I was under the impression that
Wine was able to work with a lot of different Windows programs, but so far
none that I have tried have worked. Most fail to install, and judging from
the error messages I get I'm hoping it's a configuration problem.

I am currently running Mandrake 8.0 (2.4.3) and tried the Wine that came
with it. I have since downloaded and installed Codeweaver Wine 1.0 Preview,
but I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong.

For starters, it states "If you are using KDE or Gnome, you can simply
select the WineSetup program from the System menu. Alternately, you can run
the 'winesetup' command directly." Well, there is no System menu (I'm
running KDE), so I type "winesetup" in my normal user window which brings up
the Winesetuptk. This prompts me for the location of the config file and
then displays the "Location of Windows Files" window. I don't have Windows
on this machine so only the second checkbox is available (create new windows
directory). I point to my home dir (which is set by default) and click
"Next". The next screen is the "Look and Feel" screen. I attempt to use the
defaults and, after checking the various default parameters I click on
"Finish".

Problem: Error: Couldn't create error file for command: permission denied
Ok     Skip Messages     Stack Trace

Selecting any of the options seems to bring me back to the "Finish" window.
Clicking "Finish" this time yields the question of overwriting the existing
directory. When I click Yes it returns with:

Error: command "ObjWaitMsg" already exists in namespace "::CBase"
Ok     Skip Messages    Stack Trace.

This is as far as I can get. Wine does not function (can't find some file to
do with buttons if I attempt to wine program.exe).

So what gives? I downloaded the installable .rpm (MDK8.0 is listed as valid
for this rpm using glibc2.2)

Would appreciate some help. Thanks.

Paul Nixon