Problem with compilation

lawson_whitney at juno.com lawson_whitney at juno.com
Tue Aug 28 20:17:20 CDT 2001

On Mon, 27 Aug 2001, Slawomir Makaruk wrote:

> Hello!
> I'm a new user of wine and new subscriber and I have some problem with
> compilation. Here is some last line from message of wineinstaller:

> ./dosmod.c: In function `main':
> ./dosmod.c:201: warning: implicit declaration of function `waitpid'

I'll just pick a diagnostic I can get my teeth into and worry it for a
while.  On my machine, waitpid is defined in <sus/wait.h>, which is part
of the glibc-devel package.  (You did read <wine>/README and make sure
you had glibc-devel and the rest of the gnu toolchain wine needs,
before proceeding with QUICK START, right?)

rpm -qf /usr/include/sys/wait.h
glibc-devel-2.1.3-16mdk

OOPS, actually I have glibc-2.2.3 but I built it myself and didn't tell
rpm.

Anyway, ./configure should have barfed all over you about not having
glibc-devel, and rpm or YaST or whatever should have done the same if
you tried to install glibc-devel without kernel-headers... maybe it did.
That is what I don't like about "user friendly".  Most of the error
detection goes on inside wrappers, and it is hard for some old
curmudgeon like me to tell what is wrong from outside the script.

Maybe try (in <wine>)
rm config.cache
./configure

and see what it tells you.
> make[1]: *** [dosmod] B³±d 1
> make[1]: leaving directory `/tmp/wine-20010731/loader/dos'
> make: *** [loader/dos/dosmod] B³±d 2
>
> Compilation failed, aborting install.
>
> What is mean and what to do?
> I have a gcc 2.95.3

So do I.  Good compiler.  But are you using it?

gcc -v
Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-slackware-linux/2.95.3/specs
gcc version 2.95.3 20010315 (release)

If so, that is not the problem.

> Slawomir Makaruk

Lawson