newbie: WINE / Windows / Office Question

Andreas Mohr Usenet 10/01 a31dgo001 at sneakemail.com
Tue Dec 4 11:15:10 CST 2001

Stuart Blake Tener <stuart at misty.com> wrote:
> lawson_whitney at juno.com wrote in message news:<20011130.195615.134657512.5.lawson_whitney at juno.com>...
>> We give you wine so you can have windows without microsoft, and what do
>> you want to do with it?  Why, run microsoft applications, of course.
>> Good luck.  Wine doesn't make any special effort to prevent this from
>> working, but microsoft makes every effort it can think of to prevent it.
>> The newer microsoft applications are booby-trapped against being run by
>> any sane OS.

> Then for the most part, WINE is of no use to at least the greater
> segment of my customer base, whom have already committed much time,
> training resources, and money to Microsoft software. That will not
> change anytime soon, so they cannot use Linux for the moment then to
> resolve this isssue.
Which sometimes boils down to the usual stupid reasoning of
"let's buy Microsoft, because that's what we know and what everybody
else uses".
Maybe we wouldn't be in this messy situation if people had chosen
much more frequently to not go down the easy "no-brainer" route...
In several cases the interoperability issues of companies can be
blamed upon nobody but themselves...

My reasoning mainly applies to the situation years and years ago,
of course, where there actually was something that could be called
a market; today a lot of people simply have No Choice (tm by M$)
any more...

--
Andreas Mohr, Renningen, Germany
In case you need to contact me after expiry of temporary email address: