Wine newbie needs help, please!

Oliver Sampson olsam at quickaudio.com
Wed Dec 5 07:25:42 CST 2001

Howdy,
I'm no expert, but I'm learning loads quickly.  Wine is a work in
progress; chances are a lot of the problems you're seeing are fixed in
newer versions.

What version of wine are you using? If it's made for RH7.0, it's
probably pretty old.  Try upgrading to a newer version, but be
forewarned, you'll have to upgrade a bunch of other stuff along the
way.  If you aren't comfortable with rpm downloads and chasing
dependencies, I recommend upgrading to RH7.2, and then working from
there.

Good luck.

Oliver

On 4 Dec 2001 06:30:10 -0800, scbugler_20 at yahoo.com (Mandy) wrote:

>Hi everyone-
>
>This is to all of you out there who are experts with wine.  I need to
>run Lotus Notes 5.0.8 on my linux desktop.  I hear the only way to do
>this is to have wine run it for you.  well...i downloaded the version
>of wine for RH 7.0, got it installed, seem to have it configured, or
>maybe thats my problem.  I run windows NT, so I had to get the dll
>files from a website that has win98 dll's to download.  well, i did
>all of this, and after many error, i finally clicked the notes.exe and
>it seemed to be working, yet all i get is the splash screen for lotus
>notes, and another screen that says wine desktop, but then the wine
>desktop simply disappears.  if i click the notes.exe again, the splash
>screen appears and just sits there. does nothing.  does anyone know
>what i may be doing wrong?  I am using KDE, but I also tried this is
>gnome and it would not work either, same thing happened.  when i try
>to run the program in terminal screen instead of clicking on it, i get
>this output:
>

>fixme:pthread_kill_other_threads_np
>fixme:ole:LoadTypeLibEx registration of typlelibs not supported yet!
>err:ole:TLB_ReadTypeLib Loading of typelib oleacc.dll failed with
>error 0x00000002
>fixme:console:SetConsoleCtrlHandler ((nil),0) = no error checking or
>testing yet
>fixme:console:SetConsoleCtrlHandler (0x115e2b0,1) - no error checking
>or testing yet
>fixme:win:WINE_FindWindow Returning 0 without checking other processes
>Wine exited with a successful status
>
>ok, I noticed the error that states typelibs not supported yet, what
>does that mean?  also, the last line, Wine exited with a successful
>status, this appears after i click the splash screen and it goes away.
> thanks ahead of time for any help you may can give me.

Oliver Sampson
olsam at quickaudio.com
http://www.oliversampson.com