Serial problem with Zworld

Andrew Campbell acamp at pacifier.com
Wed Dec 5 11:49:40 CST 2001

Pavel Troller wrote:

>>Just a quick update. Today's version still does
>>not work. Exactly the same error.
>>I'll keep trying and post a message when it
>>does work in the even anyone else is interested.
>>
>>Thanks for the suggestion.
>>
> Hi!
>   As I see, there is really something nasty with serial comm.
>   - My application doesn't recognize the measuring instrument,
> although it's able to dial it over the modem and recognizes that
> the modem got the carrier.
>   - Nokia Logo Manager and other tools for mobile phones don't
>     recognize the phones connected to the serial port.
>   - Your application doesn't recognize the Rabbit.
>   - There is at least one more case published here that an app
>     doesn't recognize the hardware (don't remember exactly which
>     kind of hardware it was).
>
>   It seems that there is _really_ a bug which is not visible from
> a simple terminal program but influences complex communication.
> Some of my ideas:
>   - Does wine correctly pass binary data (NULs, XON/XOFs...) ?
>   - Does overlapped duplex send/receiving work reliably ?
>
>   My hardware is OK because for example gnokii can talk to my
> mobile through the same port/cable through which NLM over wine
> cannot.
>                               With regards,
> 			               Pavel Troller

Hi Pavel,
I did notice quite a few unresolved serial issues.
In my case it appears that the controller requires different size
chunks of data for input and output. Specifically 400 in and 4096 out.
I dug into the wine source and found it ignores any attempt to set
the number of bytes read or written and instead uses a standard unix
read and write. If I knew a bit more about the structure of wine I'd
go ahead and add this functionalty as unix/linux is perfectly capable
of this.

I also contacted Zworld tech support and found they are considering
a port to linux, though not in the near future.
I might make the same suggestion to you. Perhaps if we beat up the
vendors enough, they'll see the light and offer more linux support.

Regards,
Andrew Campbell