Program installation

Oliver Sampson olsam at quickaudio.com
Thu Dec 6 09:23:34 CST 2001

Howdy,
It seems that there are three ways to get a Windows program into a
Linux system and to be run under wine.

1) (For Linux only machines.) Copy the Program file directory onto the
Linux file system and run locally,  and run with wine --debugmsg
+module,+file in order to find out which .dlls are missing and should
be copied over from the Windows.
2) Install the program onto the local Linux file system using the
programs Setup.exe program.
3) Run from a co-located (what's the right word to describe the other
OS on a multi-boot system?) directory, with all of the pointers to the
co-located OS's system folders.

Which one is the best method?  From reading the Wine User Guide, it
would seem that #1 is the ultimate goal of the Wine project.

The reason I ask is that I'm interested in installing Quicken 2000
onto my linux box and running it using wine, and I'm not sure if I
should try copying the program directory and using method #1 above, or
if I should try to really install it.  (#1 seems better somehow, but
based on other posters, a lot of people are trying to run setup.exe.

For Quicken, how should I go?

Thanks,
Oliver Sampson
olsam at quickaudio.com