Problem report: SHRINKER.ERR, fix to DEVICE_Open/CreateFileA?

Andreas Mohr Usenet 10/01 a31dgo001 at sneakemail.com
Fri Dec 7 11:25:17 CST 2001

Robert Baruch <autophile at starband.net> wrote:
> Hi Uwe,

> Thanks for the reply. I read your thread on VXD's from January 2001 and
> now I understand that Wine can't support just any VXD.

> Is "SHRINKER" some kind of decompressor? A long long time ago in a
> galaxy far far away I wrote a utility which would decompress an MSDOS
> self-decompressing-exe file that had been compressed by some utility I
> never got the name of. Would there be any interest in some kind of patch
> to Wine which would let this particular VXD's job be done within Wine?
> Something that would detect the shrinker VXD and immediately act to
> emulate it -- say, DEVICE_Open would look into the VXD to see if it's
> name was SHRINK34?
Yep, SHRINKER is some kind of decompressor.
Yes, that might actually be possible.

> I used winedbg to break the program just before it deletes the VXD, and
> then used IDA to look inside the VXD. It has no API's, and a single
> ioctl routine, which has five possible calls. Is there any interest in
> pursuing this further?
There are probably some decompressors on the internet for these
Shrinker apps, too.
You might want to get hold of (public) source for these decompressors,
find out about SHRINK34 VxD behaviour, intercept it and use the decompressor
code in Wine instead.

--
Andreas Mohr, Renningen, Germany
In case you need to contact me after expiry of temporary email address: