Timer problem, Wenlin2 and Wine (was Re: mouse problem with 'standard' Windows program)

Dr. David P.S. Fong vkelim at my-deja.com
Sat Dec 8 06:30:13 CST 2001

Dear all,

I have informed WenLin2's (a Chinese language training and character
recognition program) author of the mouse button detection problem and
he will endeavour to try to change WenLin2 to be more compatible with
WINE.

I am afraid I have found another problem running WenLin2 with WINE.

The cursor ('insertion point' or 'i.p.') disappears pressing the left
arrow key, the up key or the down key (but reappears when pressing the
right arrow key).

In editing mode, characters (English or Chinese) do not appear
on-screen until the right arrow key is pressed.

In the opinion of WenLin2's author...

"That suggests that the timer isn't working. When you move the i.p.,
it gets erased. It gets re-drawn in the new location by a routine
that's called in response to a timer, about five times per second. The
timer is created by the usual Windows function SetTimer().

Do you mean when you're typing? That again suggests the timer isn't
working. Since the screen display might not be able to keep up with
fast typing, rather than updating the screen after every character, a
flag is set to indicate that the window needs to be refreshed, which
should happen in response to the timer. The space bar is an exception;
it causes immediate display."

I hope this information helps WINE to become more compatible with
'unorthodox' Windows programs...

Cheerio, David.

vkelim at bigpond.com

vkelim at my-deja.com