Could not load 'USER.DLL' (RH7.2)

John Hunt jrhunt at iee.org
Sun Dec 9 15:22:52 CST 2001

I find that I can't run 16-bit apps because of a problem with user.dll.
Here is an example.

[john]$ wine /mnt/C/Win31/cardfile.exe
err:module:BUILTIN_LoadModule loaded .so but dll user.dll still not found
Could not load 'USER.DLL' required by 'CARDFILE', error=2
Terminated

A 32-bit app (such as notepad.exe) does work though, other than some minor
issues related to fonts.

I am running wine 20010731, supplied with Red Hat 7.2.  (I was previously
able to run cardfile under the wine version supplied with RH7.0. And yes, I
have started with a new .wine/config, not the old config file. Running as
root produces the same error.)

Any ideas?

--
John Hunt,                [Stokesley, N Yorks, UK]
e-mail: jrhunt at iee.org