Upgrade WINE on RH7.2 now can't load libntdll.so

lawson_whitney at juno.com lawson_whitney at juno.com
Sun Dec 9 17:33:03 CST 2001

On Sun, 9 Dec 2001, Gregory Gulik wrote:

> I upgraded the version of WINE on my RH7.2 system to wine-20011106-1.i386.rpm
> now any time I run the wine command I get the following:
>
> $ wine -v
> wine: error while loading shared libraries: libntdll.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
>
> That file is definitely there and readable:
>
> $ ls -l /usr/lib/wine/libntdll.so
> -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root      1175402 Nov  5 23:54 /usr/lib/wine/libntdll.so
>
> What's up with that?

Yes, and is /usr/lib/wine on the dynamic linker's search path?
The dynamic linker looks in the directories listed in /etc/ld.so.conf
and in the environment variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH, in /lib, and in
/usr/lib, but AFAIK it doesn't recurse through subdirectories of those.
The System Administrator should run /sbin/ldconfig any time it makes a
change to /etc/ld.so.conf.

Lawson

Probable user head space error. - Dennis A. Moore