Upgrade WINE on RH7.2 now can't load libntdll.so

Oliver Sampson olsam at quickaudio.com
Mon Dec 10 05:39:32 CST 2001

On Sun, 9 Dec 2001 18:33:03 -0500 (EST), lawson_whitney at juno.com
wrote:

>On Sun, 9 Dec 2001, Gregory Gulik wrote:
>

>> I upgraded the version of WINE on my RH7.2 system to wine-20011106-1.i386.rpm
>> now any time I run the wine command I get the following:
>>
>> $ wine -v
>> wine: error while loading shared libraries: libntdll.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
>>
>> That file is definitely there and readable:
>>
>> $ ls -l /usr/lib/wine/libntdll.so
>> -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root      1175402 Nov  5 23:54 /usr/lib/wine/libntdll.so
>>
>> What's up with that?
>>

>Yes, and is /usr/lib/wine on the dynamic linker's search path?
>The dynamic linker looks in the directories listed in /etc/ld.so.conf
>and in the environment variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH, in /lib, and in
>/usr/lib, but AFAIK it doesn't recurse through subdirectories of those.
>The System Administrator should run /sbin/ldconfig any time it makes a
>change to /etc/ld.so.conf.
>
>Lawson
>
>Probable user head space error. - Dennis A. Moore

I had the same problem.  Here's what I did:

o rpm -e the old distribution.

o Download the new cvs tree.
see http://www.winehq.com/dev.shtml.  If you're intimidated by that,
don't be; the instructions are simple and easy to follow.  If you've
got problems post here.
Why not use the version you have with Red Hat? Because it's old, and
the list doesn't want to spend time chasing old bugs, when there are
fresh new ones to be found.

o from the wine directory run ./tools/wineinstall
Make sure you have root privileges before you do.

You should be able to run wine.

Enjoy!
Oliver Sampson
olsam at quickaudio.com