Could not load 'USER.DLL' (RH7.2)

John Hunt jrhunt at iee.org
Mon Dec 10 14:06:13 CST 2001

gerard patel wrote:

> On Sun, 09 Dec 2001 21:22:52 +0000, John Hunt <jrhunt at iee.org> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>>I am running wine 20010731
>
> Since this time about one megabyte of patches have been
> made to Wine.
> <snip>
> Upgrade ?

I've done that, to release 20011004, from www.linux-easy.com/daily/.
Deleted everything from ~/.wine.  Ran wine, allowed it to create config.
Edited config drives to location of my windows drives (eg /mnt/C), and path
etc to suit location of installed windows 95.

Still same error.  But 32bit apps (notepad, WinZip) work, at least
superficially (not checked in detail).

[.wine]$ wine --debugmsg +loaddll /mnt/C/Win31/write.exe
trace:loaddll:MODULE_LoadModule16 Loaded module 'krnl386.exe' : builtin
trace:loaddll:MODULE_LoadModule16 Loaded module 'system' : builtin
trace:loaddll:MODULE_LoadModule16 Loaded module 'wprocs' : builtin
trace:loaddll:MODULE_LoadLibraryExA Loaded module
'C:\windows\system\advapi32.dll' : builtin
err:module:BUILTIN_LoadModule loaded .so but dll user.dll still not found
Could not load 'USER.DLL' required by 'write', error=2
Terminated

So either there is a bug in wine, or there is something in the config I
have missed. (Or Red Hat screwed something up that uninstalling their wine
rpm has not corrected.)

Can anyone help?
Thanks
--
John Hunt,                [Stokesley, N Yorks, UK]
e-mail: jrhunt at iee.org