IPX support in Starcraft - Why can't I get it working?

David Bronaugh dbronaugh at linuxboxen.org
Wed Dec 12 16:42:07 CST 2001

On Tue, 11 Dec 2001 20:05:29 Nix N. Nix wrote:
> Sorry - this might be a re-post:
>
> Let's think about this for a second:
> Starcraft makes some kind of API call to do its IPX stuff, right ? Well,
> normally, under Windows, the DLL that implements those API calls
> probably relies on some registry entries.  However, in this case we're
> not dealing with Windows DLLs (unless you've specified
> "native,builtin").  So, what actually happens is that Wine resolves
> these IPX-related functions in its own, non-registry way.  How do I
> know?  I have Starcraft running with IPX and without any kind of Windows
> installation.
>
> I recommend running wine-20010510 instead of the latest.  That's the
> version I have running on one computer, IPX and all.

Well, that's interesting. I'm glad you're interested in one of the same
things I am here.

Here's the status:

I use WINE to run a few programs, mainly games (I don't even play them
that often). These are Half-Life and (occasionally) Starcraft. Wine
20011108 fixed an annoying bug in Half-Life with Wine where you had to
click "Done" in the menus in order to get to the game (it was pretty odd,
but I figured it out). Starcraft works under WINE, but I don't have IPX
(which is kind of annoying). I was running WINE 20010510 before, but
unfortunately I never tried Starcraft under it. Maybe I'll give it another
crack (is there some clean way to have 2 different WINE installs?)

David Bronaugh