Wine config difficulties

lawson_whitney at juno.com lawson_whitney at juno.com
Fri Dec 21 15:07:38 CST 2001

On Fri, 21 Dec 2001, Jeff Jeter wrote:

> I hope i am posting this to the right list.
>
> Specs:
> FreeBSD 4.x
> Wine 20011108 -- FreeBSD ports version
> Me == Newbie
>
> I am trying to configure wine manually because the package i recieved does not include winesetup.  I configured the drives to suit my setup and left the rest as the defaults.
>
> When i try to start wine with "wine program.exe" i get this error:
> "/root/.wine/wineserver-my_hostname/socket : no such file or directory"
>
> when i created a blank file at that location it returned "'/root/.wine/wineserver-my_hostname/socket' is not a socket"
>
> How do i make a socket in the correct location.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Jeff Jeter

You shouldn't have to.  wineserver wants to make it itself when it
starts, and remove it when it exits.  That message can also result from
some impediment that prevents it from doing so.  The user who runs wine
should own the directory named in WINEPREFIX (~/.wine).  Are you trying
to have a nonprivileged user run wine (good) using root's config file?
(if so it will be difficult.  Better to copy root's .wine/config to
user's directory ~/.wine).  in effect, each wine user must have its own
WINEPREFIX, and by default it does.

Delete the blank file.  It will only get in the way.

Lawson
---oof---

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.