Running windows services, an IPC issue?

lawson_whitney at juno.com lawson_whitney at juno.com
Thu Dec 27 16:37:25 CST 2001

On Thu, 27 Dec 2001, Cory Patterson wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I am looking to run an win application on linux.  The problem it that it is
> two parts:  a exe, which calls a dll (and runs fine) and a service that
> accepts requests fron the dll and does things (generates labels).
>

> the small program runs fine, i get a return code telling me that the
> service isn't running.
>
> but if i try to execute the service, i get:
>
> [pattejam at cory server]$ wine --winver win20 --debugmsg +advapi
> slpsvcmgr.exe

? Is this really a windows 2.0 app?  Is this what you want wine to tell
the app if it asks the windows version??

osversioncheck --winver win20
MajorVersion: 2
MinorVersion: 0
BuildNumber: 0x0
Platform: Win32s on Windows 3.1
CSDVersion: 'Win32s 1.3'

(osversioncheck is a little winelib program.  see <wine>/programs).
Maybe it is nothing to do with it, but maybe it is confusing the app.
Is that maybe a typo for win2k?

osversioncheck --winver win2k
MajorVersion: 5
MinorVersion: 0
BuildNumber: 0x893
Platform: Win32 on Windows NT/Windows 2000
CSDVersion: 'Service Pack 2'

> trace:advapi:StartServiceCtrlDispatcherA (0x405e6e40)
> err:advapi:StartServiceCtrlDispatcherA Couldn't find wait semaphore
> err:advapi:StartServiceCtrlDispatcherA perhaps you need to start services
> using StartService
>

> I have looked around and really haven't seen much about this issue.
>

> Thanks in advance.
>
> cory Patterson

Lawson