printer vendors' windoze 3.1x drivers

paul neiw at my-deja.com
Thu Feb 1 10:37:37 CST 2001

Hi,

I'm wondering if I could (ab)use wine for
transparently printing from linux via the
vendors' win 3.1x printer drivers. I'll need
that for a proslide 35 film recorder and an
epson 980 inkjet with the best (photo) output
quality available with windoze (from 3.1x)
drivers only.

There is, of course a hardware solution using
ghostscript's mswinpr2 (windoze GDI) and a
physical win3.1x / win32s machine.

But could wine run the printer driver? How to
pipe GDI printer data from a linux ghostscript
mswinpr2 to the vendor's driver?

Or, alternatively, how to run both the printer
driver and a ghostscript in wine and pipe ps to
them?

Anyone done similar things?

Maybe there are much nicer solutions. Ideas?

--
thanks  -  p.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/