Need advice on which native dlls to try

Andreas Mohr aqi46g09cu001 at sneakemail.com
Fri Feb 2 00:57:51 CST 2001

Olaf Delgado Friedrichs <delgado at okeeffe-pc3.la.asu.edu> wrote:
> Hi Folks!

> I'm completely new to wine, so please be gentle with me!
You're doing well so far :)

> I am trying to run Curious Labs' Poser4 under Tuesday's CVS snapshot on
> RedHat 6.2 without any native DLLs so far. All I get is one of those famous
> 'Critical section 0x... wait timed out' errors. Conventional knowledge says
> try some native DLLs - but which ones?

> Here is a list of DLLs and modules loaded:

[snip all useless ones]

> C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHELL32.dll
> C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ole32.dll
> C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\rpcrt4.dll
> C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\shlwapi.dll
> C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\comctl32.dll
> C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\AVIFIL32.dll
> C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\msvfw32.dll
> C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\winmm.dll
> C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WS2_32.dll
> C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\comdlg32.dll
> C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPR.dll
> C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\msacm.drv
> C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\msacm32.dll
> C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\midimap.drv
> commdlg.dll

These are all potentially native DLLs.
I wanted to point out the more important ones, but I can't do that,
as nearly all DLLs seem to be equally important.
So just get a load of these and try it with some -dll DLL=n or
--dll DLL=n,DLL2=b arguments.
After some experimentation there *should* be a change in behaviour.
For better or for worse... ;-))

> Here's the error message(s):

> err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection Critical section 0x40b42dfc wait timed
> out, retrying (60 sec) fs=0277
> err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection Critical section 0x406c5b90 wait timed
> out, retrying (60 sec) fs=0277
> err:seh:EXC_DefaultHandling Unhandled exception code c0000194 flags 0 addr
> 0x4006252c
Yup. critical section timeout.

Andreas Mohr