Ye olde INT 33h

Bart Oldeman enbeo at enbeo.resnet.bris.ac.uk
Fri Feb 2 18:21:49 CST 2001

On Tue, 30 Jan 2001, Eduardo Costa wrote:

> Does anybody know if Wine will support the INT 33h (I think it's an
> alias to "DPMI") ? I want to play my old classic DOS games, but in
> Windoze they crash (don't know why - I hate this O$), and Wine doesn't
> support this interrupt.

Try dosemu (www.dosemu.org). Runs almost all non-DPMI programs and quite
a few DPMI ones (like Duke3D and Doom FWIW). Exceptions are for instance
some of the Ultima's, VCPI programs and other games that refuse to work
under Win9x. You have to try it though. Don't expect sound working.

DOSEMU uses quite a different approach from wine: with wine you usually
run one app at a time whereas dosemu is implementing a restricted virtual
PC and brings up a dos box wherein a real (Free/MS/DR/...)dos version
runs.

Bart