Subtle changes after installing Transgaming Patch

Alan Chandler alan at chandlerfamily.org.uk
Sat Feb 3 04:32:45 CST 2001

I have been running the 20010112 version of wine with "Agent" in order
to read all my mail and news.  This seemed to work fine.

In order to try and get a game (Grand Prix Legends) to work I have
installed the Transgaming patch, which including patching wine to the
29th Jan version.

Since that time, some subtle changes seems to have occurred. These are

a)  Previously wine had been started from simple command line

/usr/local/bin/wine agent

I am not sure what directory I was in (its set up as a button on kde2
panel - and I haven't worked out exactly what directory that leaves
you in - I suspect /usr/local/bin)

but since "path" was set in the wine config to include

C:\Program Files\Agent  (I have removed \\ etc)

The program was found - AND SO WAS the agent.ini file stored in that
directory.  The program started and used the ini file.

After the upgrade, whether or not the ini file was found depended on
the current directory I was in when I started agent.?

If I was inside the scope of the Windows environment (ie I am in a
directory that maps to a Windows one) then it works fine.  If am
outside of that environment (which is certainly the case for the kde2
panel button) then the agent.ini file is NOT FOUND and agent tries to
create a new one (I believe in the directory mapped to C:\ )

HAS THERE BEEN AN INTENTIONAL CHANGE TO THIS FUNCTIONALITY?

b)  Whilst running agent, it has an internal window which can be
expanded to merge into the surrounding main window (standard behaviour
for apps with sub windows).  It has a remember windows layout function
which can be used to cause it to start up in this mode.  Thats how its
set.

Prior to the upgrade this worked fine

After the upgrade, the internal window appears at about a 640*480
arrangement within the larger main window (on a 1024*768 full screen).
It is half merged with the larger one (in the sense that the top
window border is not there and the little buttons in the top right are
not really there) so you can't just ask it to expand up.  You have to
use the Windows command to re-arrange the windows (so you get a proper
border) and then maximise it to the full.  It then defaults to the
correct arrangement.

AGAIN - has there been a change here to cause this difference.

Alan

alan at chandlerfamily.org.uk
http://www.chandler.u-net.com